Friday, May 2, 2008

TOP DESIGN

I've always dreamed of remodeling a house. I remember when James and I had our first place,I've always had these fantasies of how our bedroom should be, how the bathroom would be like. That's why it didn't come up as a surprise to me when I took the job when my mom said we're gonna renovate our house in Cavite. I couldn't go to work then as per doctor's orders so I took the job.

Figuring out what to do with the house was easy but designing it was the hardest part. First off were the painting. The house sure needed a new coat of paint but I never thought there would be so many colors to choose from. I decided to come up with 2 different colors for each bedroom. Since my mom is expected to stay in the master bedroom, I choose a very light pink for it's shade. Since she also liked violet, I decided to use a small hint of purple on the borders, as well as the doors and cabinets. But then there was also the issues of the tiles to go with the paint. I chose a darker shade of red that looks but doesn't feel like a carpet. The second room was easier. Since I've grown accustomed to different shades of blue, I've decided to use it as my basic color then added some darker shades to highlight the doors of windows. The tile, of course, was also blue. And so, we now have the pink room and the blue room.

When we got to the kitchen, we had to consult a geomancer. I am not really a feng shui fanatic but I remember somebody telling me once that it is bad to build your kitchen on top of a septic tank as every food you cook could bring sickness to your family. It was the geomancer's idea to use green tiles on the floor, along with other buried stuff to prevent "bad spirits" from spoiling our food. Since we were supposed to tile the floor green, we decided to color the entire kitchen green. I got to discover the beauty of ceramic tiles. Unlike in the 70's and 80's, when ceramic tiles were just 1x1 in dull colors, ceramic tiles nowadays come in different sizes. It also has different colors and some, like the ones that I chose for the "green room" has designs like flowers and vines. Unfortunately, not every design would fit every decorator. The first thing you have to keep in mind is that you should have a good tiler, one like mine. He's very particular in every detail, from the cutting to the lay-out of the design.

We applied the same principle of tiling in the bathroom. Only this time, it became more delicate since he also has to create a slope going to the drain to prevent any standing water, to prevent accidents, plus he had to carefully set the toilet in place. Everything was perfect.

Well, we're halfway done. They've already put the first coat of paint at the second floor hallway, which will also be the main color of the entire house. There's also some painting to be done on the kitchen and bathroom walls. It could still take us a while, since we are still waiting for additional funds to come in but when it's all done, I'm sure it's gonna be perfect.